Our Healthy Sourdough
Sourdough is a naturally fermented bread made from a unique starter of wild yeast and bacteria. Not only does it taste great there are also numerous health benefits. One of the Health Benefits of Sourdough is the fact it is more digestible than standard loaves and more nutritious too. Be warned this is a bit technical but fascinating…
- Sourdough preparation is a lot longer than standard bread, and this longer preparation time results in the protein gluten being broken down into amino acids. This translates to easier and more pleasant digestion, sometimes even for those who are sensitive to gluten.
- Easier digestion is made even more possible by the bacteria-yeast combination working to predigest the starches in the grains. Predigestion by sourdough = less digestion for you.
- The fermentation process increases the content of beneficial bacteria in the bread AND the gut. Healthy gut bacteria = happy body.
- Additionally, these bacteria control yeast population in the gut, so yeast overgrowth and infection is less likely to occur.
- The integrity of sourdough is so complex that it contains a host of goodness in terms of nutrients. In sourdough, you can find vitamins B1-B6, B12, folate, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin E, selenium, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium–in addition to uniquely balanced proteins and fatty acids. This is in contrast to most commercially produced breads, which maintain only a fraction of their original nutrient content after all the processing they undergo.
- Acetic acid–which inhibits the growth of mould, is produced in the making of sourdough. So, sourdough naturally preserves itself. Good news considering the nasty preservatives thrown into food today.
- .Sourdough often has a lower glycaemic index than that of other breads–meaning, it doesn’t spike blood sugar as dramatically.This is because it depletes damaged starches within it, simply by its fermentative nature.
- .Sourdough bread made with wild yeast, bacteria, and whole grain flour is the oldest and most original form of leavened bread. It truly is an ancient art that is crafted in harmony with nature. It’s only natural that we eat it as opposed to other breads.